Kristin Peterson: mixed media, collage, painter, artist

Saturday, February 28, 2015

#DLP: Featured Artist {Layers You will Love}

so very excited and totally honored to be a part of the Documented Life Project as a featured artist this week. thank you, thank you Art to the 5th!

the month of february is all about layers you will love; and this particular week our challenge is to use at least five layers and our prompt is give me a high five. so let's get started.....

i am working in the dylusions's art journal and always gesso the pages to start. once i had the gesso down and dry- i started with gluing in some vintage book papers. these papers are thin and you can see i did not care if the paper was running the correct way, or covering the entire journal page. sometimes for me a layer is being able to peel back through the paper.


i then chose what colors i wanted to work with. starting with the orange and using an old credit card to scrap a thin layer of orange paint across most of the page; but, again, not all of the page.


the next layers for me was the use of dylusion's ink spray- both the pink, which i used a stencil, and white, which i simply sprayed. i also went back and peeled up loose paper that was not stuck well and had bubbled a bit from the moisture of the inks. 


these next few layers were adding more paint back through my stencil- like above.

now comes my favorite part- adding a little more pop of color into my pages with the turquoise, and a few strips of washi tape. the other layers i added was the words "yes you can" and the number 5 for our layers and high five....and a few splatters.

sometime layers can be overwhelming, but, work slowly if you need to, even if that means to step away for a bit and then come back; and choose your colors you want to work with. (i have a color wheel hanging in my studio space for me to always refer back to). 


i also added a zip of Adirondack butterscotch alcohol ink on the washi tape. i like how the paper of the tape absorbs the ink. then, adding a little stamping and some small paint circles for interest and detail.


i added some larger paint circles with the end of a toilet paper roll. :) those are the larger pink circles in the upper left corner, in the pic below.

i like this pic below- as you can just see the "you can, yes, you can"..... peeking through all the layers.


below you can see i added some notes in regards to this week's pages especially since this is the Documented Life Project (right?!)....i will confess,....the layers should have been easy, but, i did feel like i had to work for these pages. some come easy and sometimes the pages do not- but, always remember....yes, you can. even i have to remind myself sometimes that the point is to play; to experiment and take the time.


my end sentence says to "dream big".... listen to those inner whispers while you are playing. let the whispers blow away any self doubt that may try to dissuade you and just play; and if you have to- it is okay to not follow all of these rules.


i was feeling like my layers of layers had maybe gotten the best of me and i needed to calm all of this down a bit....so i added some white ink circles. i really liked how the white pulled the overall feeling of the page together.


here is a fuller view of the page below....the white ink blends well with the dylusion's inks and provides a softening to some of my bright colors.


welcome to my "layered" studio table. i hope you have managed to stick with me in this post....sorry it is super long! i had a great time making this though and if you made it to this point....give yourself a high five for sticking with me!!  here is a close up look at my final page...



thank you! and thank you Art to the 5th!

25 comments:

  1. I love how your page turned out Kristin! Those white circles at the end pulled the page together so beautifully! Thank you so much for joining us this week! We loved having you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love every bit!! Congrats to your feature!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your whole process

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the bright colors Kristin. I have white ink spray and never thought to use it this way. Congrats on the DLP artist spot this week and thanks for sharing all these yummy details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work, Kristin! I enjoyed seeing your process! I really like how the white really pulled everything together! Looks great!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing amazing result Kristin! I love the page and the colors, everything really comes together with the white touches at the end. And watching the process was super interesting :) thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved it and you explained it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun to see your process and really like the end result....the white totally finished everything....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this page!! Funny how adding white just makes everything pop. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how your pages came out!!! The white really did pull it all together!! Your desk shows your true concentration and effort in this project!! I love it!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful work as always

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed seeing your work on the pages. I like the controlled chaos of it. There is so much interest and it all fits together so well! My name is also Kristen Peterson so I love your name too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristin! This is wonderful! I love how you told everyone that sometimes you have to "work for it." So true, but so worth it! What and inspiration you are and the page is incredible! Thanks for being our featured artist this week - our members will benefit so much from seeing your process! xoxo, lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely LOVE your pages! The pattern, color and layers are amazing! Your work always makes me smile and I am inspired yet again! I was thrilled you joined us as a DLP Featured Artist and knew you would make something stunning. I guess I am seriously gushing here....love your work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have always loved how white gesso draws up color from underneath and gives it a foggy ethereal look and you did it with ink! I need to give that a try. Nice step outs and really nice pages. Thanks for inspiring us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a lovely page Kristin :) Congrats on being the featured artist...way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kristin this is just beautiful! I am glad you touched on maybe not loving your work sometimes...we ALL feel like that and you are right- if we just push forward we get past those feelings. Your work is always so colorful and yummy anyway - LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I was thrilled you joined us as a Featured Artist and so happy I got to know you better through your post here! Thank you so much for sharing! xx Rae

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! Love all the color and joy that you are making.... keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This site was new to me. Glad I found it. Lovely work and so well documented.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun fun fun !! and of course I LOVE those COLORS!!! its fun to see your process and inside your Journal! xoxoxox keep on ARTING!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fab colours! It was easy to follow you, thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your comments- i love hearing from you!!